Friday, October 16, 2009

Fetish Geisha - my introduction to the Goth scene

Well, it's not every day that I'm asked to perform at a Goth club... My absolutely crazy and fabulous troupe mistress, Diva Disa Star, informed me that my first 'Beasties' gig would take place at a club called Gotham and would require me to dance with my red silk fans, dressed as a geisha and preferably to oriental music.

Now the oriental music bit was one of the fun parts and rather fortunate for me since my taste in music leans heavily away from the deep garage basement independant heavy metal sort of stuff that they tend to play in clubs like Gotham. For those of you in the know, I humbly ask your forgiveness, I have no idea what the musical term actually is, and so far no one has been able to tell me. I have repeatedly asked the Diva to please supply me with a CD of above mentioned music so that I can aquaint myself with it's nuances, but to no avail.. Perhaps on reading this post... hint hint!

So heavy metal aside, I needed to find some oriental music that would work for my little fan number... Fortunately I am blessed with students from all walks of life, including a delightful woman named Sue and her daughter Amy who are from China and who saved the day by inviting me for tea while choosing some music. To be quite honest... the plum tea they served was the highlight of my day!! I raved so much about it that poor Sue parted with about 10 of the precious imported dried plums and I have been living on the delicious stuff ever since. Sadly, I am now all out of plums.

Back to the music... we listened to CD after CD... too fast, too slow, too frantic, too mellow... Eventually I asked for any 10 songs and rushed home to transform into a princess for the first gig of the evening... That's my other life, but not the one in question on this blog... so I'll let you wonder why I needed to transform into a princess. Princess job down, I rushed back home to let the real transformation begin.... 2 hours worth of hair and make up squeezed into an hour and we were off to Gotham.. with me feeling rather nervous and out of my depth.

But now... my darling step daughter has just arrived and I'm off for drinks... so I shall have to leave off here and come back later... after a few too many glasses of wine I'm sure, to complete this tale...

2 comments:

Lila Lily said...

Halo T

Love your story..

Lila

Anonymous said...

heehee.. alternative rock is probably a safe blanket term, although i'm sure the goth afficionados are gonna hunt me down and safety pin me to a wall for saying that :D there are apparently different subpopulations within their community, so why would naming their music be made easy lol

try siouxsie and the banshees :)